“The Shaky Bridge. Officially the shakiest bridge in Ireland”.
This is the claim of a poster ad campaign for Murphy’s Stout, and it demonstrates the legendary status attached to Cork’s most famous and most loved dynamic structure.
History of Structure
There are only three suspension bridges in Ireland; at Birr and Kinnitty Castles, both in Co. Offaly, and Cork’s own Daly’s Bridge. The 87m meter long steel suspension bridge spans the River Lee, shown in Figure 1, connecting the Mardyke and Sunday’s Well areas just east of Cork city centre. Constructed in 1926 to replace a ferry crossing at the location, it was manufactured by David Rowell & Co. Ltd. of London to the specifications of then Cork City engineer Stephen William Farrington. Named Daly’s Bridge for James Daly, a wealthy benefactor of the project, today it is better known locally as ‘The Shaky Bridge’ for its perceived ‘shakiness’.